Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Juror

I was summoned for jury duty this month. Today was my first day. I am on a jury. I have never done this before and only one other juror on our jury has. So we are all giggly and silly when we get into the jury room. But I know when we are given the case, we will be serious. It was just first day jitters.

I can't believe that in 58 years I never was summoned. Summoned....what a weird word. So LEGAL.

Interesting so far.

Innocent until proven guilty. Sounds easy but it really is very hard to think that way. Your mind wants to go the opposite. The defense does not have to even say anything.
The defendent is to remain innocent in your head until you hear something that the prosecutor says to prove to you they aren't. I never really gave it too much thought until today. When I watch COPS, I always think "heck ya, he's guilty" because I saw what happened. And as a rule, I would have a tendency to want to believe a police officer if they were in court and said it was so. But you can't. You have to listen to everything and THEN decide if the prosecutor PROVED that he is guilty beyond that reasonable doubt.

Wow.

No comments: